Moyo on Monday
July 22, 2009
I was in Johannesburg for the Betavine Social Exchange workshop. I was keen to hear what people thought about the idea and get some valuable input – I was not disappointed. I spent the morning at the Sangonet offices in downtown Johannesburg.
Matthew de Gale on Sangonet
Then we had lunch in the News Cafe at Joburg Theatre before the workshop began at 2pm in the Penthouse room. The workshop was followed at 6pm by the first Netsquared event in Johannesburg. I met some very interesting people and really enjoyed both events.
We had around 20 NGOs represented at the workshop and I got a lot of valuable input. I will summarise some of it here.
- open discussions to mobile internet
- find local discussions / solutions
- link to mobile active directory of resources
- put BSX link on Prodder
- local language support
- put case studies on Sangonet, Mobile Active etc.
- list of recommended OS developers / past performance
- assistance in finding pre-existing solutions would be valuable to NGOs
- who owns the BSX projects?
- need an MoU betweeen parties
- quick response needed to initial ideas
- who gets credit if idea flies?
- solutions need to be costed
- NGOs like face to face / voice contact
- cost of operation of solution
More on the Cape Town workshop soon.